Duror Church History


Duror church was the first “Parliamentary” church built in Scotland. The design of these churches was overseen by Thomas Telford. The act providing for the construction of churches was passed 18th July 1823 with the following guidelines.
1. The number of churches was not to exceed 40
2. No more than £1,500 spent on any site
3. Stipend of £100 per year, precentor £8, beadle £5
The contractors for the Duror church and manse were John Gibb and William Minto of Aberdeen who built several churches in Argyll.
The final cost was £1,470 and the completion date is given as 21st August 1827. The land was provided by Robert Downie of Appin and the first minister was Donald MacNaughton previously of Glencoe.
In 1982 the church was re roofed and the floor repaired and improvements made to the heating at a cost of £18,660.
In 2002 a hall was built on the rear wall of the church to provide accommodation for the Sunday school, a toilet for the disabled and a new kitchen at a cost of £62,411.

Most recently, in 2016, major repairs were carried out to the supporting beams in the roof. The work was carried out by Riverside Builders (Scotland) Ltd. The final cost, including preliminary investigations and professional advice, was £45,362.